Interior and National Administration Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has condemned the chaos, looting, violence and disruption witnessed across the country during protests over rising fuel prices on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Speaking at Harambee House after the demonstrations, Murkomen said although the Constitution guarantees the right to demonstrate and picket, the protests had allegedly been “hijacked by political actors for political ends.”
The CS acknowledged that fuel prices had risen significantly due to the ongoing global political crisis but warned that violence, destruction of property and blocking roads would not help lower the cost of fuel.
“Looting, violence, blocking roads, and vandalizing public and private property can in no way bring down the oil prices. If anything, the disruption of transport and closure of businesses can only worsen the situation,” he said.
Murkomen noted that the government, through the National Treasury and the Ministries of Energy and Transport, was engaging transport stakeholders in talks aimed at finding solutions to the rising fuel prices.
At the same time, the Interior CS accused unnamed politicians of mobilizing criminal gangs to attack government projects, businesses and leaders allied to the government.
He cited the looting of Khetia supermarkets linked to a pro-government Member of Parliament, the burning of a UDA office in Wote, Makueni County, and the torching of two trucks at the Rironi-Mau Summit road project as evidence of what he termed a “calculated move to spread fear and intimidate government supporters.”
Murkomen also linked the unrest to growing political intolerance following the death of Ms. Rachel Wandeto, who reportedly succumbed after a recent violent attack.
“We are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is making incendiary statements to fan intolerance and ethnic bigotry and organizing gangs to spread terror, sabotage government projects, and intimidate those with different political opinions,” he stated.
The Cabinet Secretary assured Kenyans that the government would take firm action against those responsible for the violence and destruction witnessed during the protests.
“We will intensify our fight against organized crime and its sponsors who are hellbent on propagating anarchy,” Murkomen said.
According to the CS, four people lost their lives during the protests while more than 30 others sustained injuries.
He criticized politicians who, he claimed, measure the success of anti-government demonstrations by the number of casualties recorded.
“This is the lowest form of politics and the most wicked manifestation of self-interest,” he said.
Murkomen further warned leaders accused of profiling Kenyans based on political affiliation and labeling opponents as traitors, saying they would be held personally responsible for lives lost and property destroyed.
Despite the unrest, the CS commended Kenyans who continued with their daily activities peacefully and apologized for the disruption caused to transport and businesses.
He also assured travelers that security agencies had been instructed to ensure their safety and confirmed that roads blocked during the demonstrations were being cleared to allow safe passage.









