Helicopter Crash That Killed Ecuador Intelligence Chief

Kenya has pledged to speed up investigations into the helicopter crash in Samburu County that claimed the lives of Ecuador’s intelligence chief Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza and his wife, Stephany María Hollihan.

Principal Secretary for Foreign Affairs Korir Sing’Oei made the commitment during a phone call with Ecuador’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Alejandro Davalos on Saturday, August 22.

Sing’Oei said Kenya would work with Ecuador to establish what led to the crash and assist with the recovery and repatriation of the victims’ remains.

“I reaffirmed Kenya’s commitment to working round the clock to conclude preliminary investigations into the circumstances of the accident and to facilitate the necessary support toward the retrieval and repatriation of the remains,” the PS said.

Sensi-Contugi, who was the Director General of Ecuador’s National Intelligence Centre, and his wife died on Wednesday after the helicopter they were travelling in crashed in Samburu County.

The couple had been on a recreational trip and were travelling from Loisaba Conservancy towards Ewaso Nyiro when the helicopter went down near Mt Ololokwe.

Investigators examining cause of crash

The Air Accident Investigation Department (AAID) is leading the Kenyan investigation into the crash.

Investigators from the United States and France have also joined the probe as authorities work to piece together what happened before the helicopter went down.

However, investigators have confirmed that the aircraft did not have a black box.

AAID Director Fred Kabunge said the absence of the flight recorder means investigators will have to rely on other evidence gathered from the crash site and other available information.

“This particular aircraft has no black box installed. Kenya Civil Aviation regulations do not permit it,” Kabunge said.

The investigation is looking at several possible factors, including the pilot’s competency, the condition and certification of the aircraft, its age and whether passenger limits were followed.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority identified the aircraft as a Eurocopter EC130 B4.

Investigators said the helicopter was badly damaged by the impact and a fire that broke out after the crash.

AAID expects to complete a preliminary report within 30 days.

Other victims identified

The crash also killed pilot Josh Outram, Telemundo executive José Suárez and three Miami-based business executives, Roger Duarte, Adam Hlavaty and Henry Parra.

Post-mortems on four of the victims were completed at Lee Funeral Home on Friday.

Investigators have also been examining the crash site and collecting aircraft components and other material that could help establish the circumstances surrounding the accident.

Kenya’s latest commitment comes as Ecuador mourns Sensi-Contugi and his wife, with both countries now working on the investigation and arrangements for the repatriation of the victims’ remains.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.