Police have arrested 37 people following the violence that broke out during the Linda Mwananchi rallies in Homa Bay County on Sunday.
The National Police Service (NPS) said those arrested are suspected members of criminal gangs and were found with various crude weapons.
The weapons included machetes, knives, metal rods, ropes, rungus, batons and torches.
“A total of 37 suspected gang members have been arrested and were found in possession of various crude weapons,” the NPS said in a statement issued on Monday.
The suspects are expected to be processed and face charges over their alleged involvement in the violence.
Police are also looking for other people believed to have taken part in the chaos, including those suspected of organising or funding the groups involved.
“Police are also pursuing other actors who may have participated in the mayhem, with a view to ensuring that all those responsible including organisers, facilitators and sponsors of criminal activities, are identified and held accountable in accordance with the law,” the NPS said.
The arrests followed a tense day for the Linda Mwananchi team as it toured parts of Homa Bay on Sunday.
The group, led by Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna, faced hostile crowds at some points, with their convoy reportedly being pelted with objects as it moved through the county.
The team had earlier held relatively peaceful events in Nyandiwa and Sindo before heading to Homa Bay Town, where the situation became more tense.
Two people died during the day’s incidents, while several others were injured.
The NPS also said one of its vehicles lost control during the chaos. The accident left the driver dead and five other police officers injured.
Following the violence, police reminded political groups that public rallies should only be held between 6am and 6pm.
The police service also asked political organisers to notify the police in advance so that adequate security can be arranged.
“All political actors intending to organise public rallies are reminded that such gatherings must be conducted within the prescribed hours of 6.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.,” the NPS said.
However, the Linda Mwananchi group has highlighted its own fears in regard to the situation.
In its statement released Monday, the group alleged that security agencies did not provide protection to its supporters, and further that there was an individual affiliated with National Intelligence Service (NIS) involved in the clashes.
According to the group, its supporters arrested an individual who was moving with the perpetrators of the violence in an unmarked black Toyota Prado.
The Linda Mwananchi group said that the arrested individual introduced himself as an NIS official when his phone was confiscated.
At the time of the release of the statement, the claims by the group remained unsubstantiated and no official confirmation was made by the NIS about the claim.
The group also demanded action from both National Police Service and NIS in regard to the behavior of its officials during the tour.
On the other hand, police stated that investigations were ongoing in regard to identification of perpetrators.












